Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yesterday, April 18th, we received a report that Smilla was hanging out in a pasture  near a home a few miles east of the center of Fall City, near the Fall City airport.  I took a "magnet dog" to that location in hopes that Smilla would want to play with him.  Then, the plan was that when he got closer to me, if Smilla came with him, I could slip a leash onto her.  It worked partially in that Smilla did run after my dog in my direction.  However, I was concerned about busy highway 202 beside the pasture.  I asked for another volunteer to help keep the dogs off of the highway.  When we tried it a second time, Smilla must have felt cornered by the two men trying to keep her away from the highway, and she bolted past me.  I located her again half a mile west and just watched her to make sure she was safe and see where she would settle.  She rested a while and then disappeared again.  I received another phone call that she was near Fall City Community Park.  That was the last time I saw her, just before dark.

The plan going forward is that we want her to settle in a new location like the pasture.  Hopefully, people will just let her rest quietly there, with some food.  If we can get her to feel at home in someone's yard, then we can work up the next plan for trapping her.

Below is a map of sightings in the last couple of weeks or so.

1 comment:

  1. I've created a Facebook page so it's easy to share there as well: http://www.facebook.com/SmillaHuskyMixOnTheRun

    ReplyDelete